ELCO delivers process heating for the manufacture of high quality cooking oils
A complex restructuring task
The firm SABO founded in 1845 and situated in Manno/Tessin is the present Swiss market leader for bio and special cooking oils. The processing energy of 11,600 MWh is generated by a steam and thermal oil boiler. A further gas heating boiler serves for heating the building. Due to tighter limits on emissions, the facility had to be completely restructured in 2006.
ELCO convinces with innovative burner technology
Thanks to a convincing total design ELCO was able to success fully compete against other contractors for the replacement of the burner. As a new innovation and appearing for the first time in the Swiss market, the steam boiler received the latest development in the proved and tested ELCO open flame technology, which has shown itself to have the lowest emissions and possess a further improved flame stability. The demanding task of suppressing emissions in the thermal oil boiler was solved by a top-fired boiler with external recirculation. As required by the operators, the assembly and beginning of operation took place without interrupting the production.
The final inspection of the facility by the officials showed that over the entire load range the limits of the Swiss clean air regulations were not exceeded. “The limits were not just barely cleared, but filled very well, as evident in the measure ment reports”, the technical director of SABO summed up.
• 100 Tonnes daily production of high quality cooking oils
• Production energy needs 11,600 MWh per year
Technical solution by ELCO:
Steam boiler, saturated steam 16 bar for production
• ELCO dual fuel burner EK 8.700 GL-EF2, nominal capacity 5,500 kW
• Digital burner management system Etamatic OEM
• A load-dependant speed control for the burner fan
• An optimisation of residual oxygen for more economical use of energy and low CO2 emissions
Thermal oil boiler, thermal oil 325° C for production
• ELCO dual fuel burner EK 4.175 GL-ROY, nominal capacity 1,250 kW
• External exhaust gas recirculation to reduce emission of pollutants
Warm water boiler 90° C for heating:
• ELCO Gas burner EGC 140 R2
• Burner capacity 95 kW
• Low pollution mixing mechanism for compliance with LRV (Swiss clean air regulations)